Mexico City, Oct 12 (EFE).- Seven years after she last stepped onto to a Mexican stage, Shakira brought an audience here to their feet with recent songs and classics such as "Hips Don't Lie."
Neither the delayed start nor the rain storm that raged through the night diminished the enthusiasm of the more than 50,000 people who came together in Mexico City's iconic Aztec Stadium.
"Mexico, it's been so long!" yelled Shakira to fans who anxiously awaited her first performance in the Aztec nation since the Colombian star's last world tour in 2011.
She thanked her Mexican fans for "being there in difficult times," alluding to the potentially career-ending hemorrhage of her vocal cords in November 2017.
She offered an updated version of "Estoy Aqui" mixed with electro-pop rhythms that made the multigenerational crowd dance.
Shakira sang "Perro Fiel," from her latest album, "El Dorado," followed by her 2000s hit "Underneath Your Clothes."
The chant of "Shakira, Shakira" emerged from a sea of cell-phone lights after she left the stage, and she came back for an encore with "Hips Don't Lie."
- Estudiantes de universidades públicas colombianas comienzan paro indefinido
- El paro se mantendrá en torno al 14 % al menos hasta 2023, según el FMI
- España repite como segundo país con más paro de la OCDE
- El paro femenino alcanza el 19 % en España, la segunda tasa más alta de la UE
- Paro. la tasa de paro de españa (15,2%) triplica la de la ocde (5,3%)